Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mr. Strunz

More stuff from the Blackbird-verse... I've been having a blast drawing this character. He's such a weird combination of traits, and it makes for a character that's utterly unique. Lately I've been challenging myself to draw characters with really distinct appearances -- not just recycling the same standard facial structures and body types. What's more, I'm trying to learn to draw them consistently, so I have to understand their wacky individual features at more than just surface level.

(I don't like the way I drew his lips here. They look too... fleshy. He looks better with only the bottom lip defined.)


Mr. Strunz is somewhere around 1 foot tall, and is a thunderously powerful business tycoon and sorcerer. His anatomy is really thin and stretched out... like a ballerina with bird bones who developed in the vacuum of space. He isn't constrained by gravity in the usual way, so it's not like his skeleton actually needs to have structural integrity.


Here is Mr. Strunz relaxing in his (appropriately-sized) home. But uh-oh, it looks like he's being interrupted for some reason...


I was very delighted with this picture while it was just pencil, but I think it lost something when I inked it... Maybe it's because all the lineweights are the same, and I haven't really done any shading. Oh, well. Someday I'll do a snazzy digital version and fix all the problems.

By the way, for those of you from the Beloit sphere: don't you think that, with his glasses on, he looks sorta like Denzel from the AV office? O.o

Here's a random sketch of Bol falling asleep on Breckendy. They aren't really touchy-feely with each other... at all... but Bol's often on the brink of unconsciousness. He doesn't take good care of himself. (I have to redo her hand... it looks like she's going STOP! but she's supposed to be jerking her hand out of the way uncomfortably.)


Oh, I also drew this:

No comments:

Post a Comment