Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thirty Days Project

It's NaNoWriMo season again, and many of my friends are bravely diving into it despite their college workloads. I did it last year, but I'm not feeling the spark this time around.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about personal creativity vs. imposed/required creativity. I am always bursting with ideas and dreams for my creative future... but it's for the future. Someday. And actually, I don't produce all that much, except for school assignments. I don't have much of a portfolio, because I don't feel that I have many "complete" works of art to my name. There is such a disparity between what I want to do and what I am currently capable of doing. I get discouraged very easily...

Well, the obvious solution is to just do stuff, much of which will be awful, and get better through experience. But sometimes desire isn't enough... I need pressure. I need a NaNo for general creativity. And it just so happens that one exists.

It's called the Thirty Days Project, and it officially happens in June, but... whatever. I'll do it again in June if I like it. The premise is simple: create something, every day, for thirty consecutive days. For me, this will probably be drawings, but it is open to every kind of creativity.

I'll aim for drawings that are a bit more committed than notebook doodles. Maybe I'll start tomorrow. Wait, it's already tomorrow.

I'll start today, then. Don't think, don't rationalize, just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment