Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Animals Caged and Imaginary

After all the stress of my senior show, it is very comforting to go back to low-profile sketching for a while. Sometimes it feels good to draw the same thing over and over again. I keep returning to this profile pose of Ceazaght (a creature from the Blackbird storyverse), who is kind of a big, warped, possibly not-quite-alive maned wolf. Maned wolves are AWESOME animals, by the way, if you didn't know.

Experimenting with scale.

Skewing the proportions of neck and legs.

Elspeth rests by her twig. Ceazaght inspects some black feathers.

Creepy baleen mouth? Interesting idea, but I really just need to learn how to draw a snarling wolf.
Half-baked comic I drew during work, starring Ceazaght & Breckendy.

Way back during spring break, I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo with a horde of buddies and managed to make some sketches of animals. That zoo is awesome, and free!! If it weren't such a drive I would go more often.

Lazy lions.

More lazy lions.

Slightly less lazy tigers.

An assortment of quick impressions.

I was surprised the zoo allowed the caiman to smoke in its habitat. I imagine the caiman mafiya has something worked out with the zoo management.

A couple of undeveloped (or yet to be explored) Blackbird characters...

Hampkin, who always seems sad and tired.
Thatma, who I really don't know much about, including what his clothes look like.

He is serious. >:C
These aren't characters, these are real people. Haha, silly classmates wonder why I keep staring at them.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a wolf so large as that. Very eerie! :D
    ^____^
    It's always so fun to see your sketches!

    ReplyDelete