Monday, June 27, 2011

Copics

Caved in and got a few Copic markers, the most overpriced and desirable art markers I know of. At nearly $5 each, they encourage budget-bound artists to select their colors with great deliberation. I decided to get a pack of flesh tones, a couple of yellowy colors, and a colorless blender. I printed out my lineart from the last post so I could practice coloring without the icy, heart-clutching terror of coloring directly on an original piece.


Ooh, those Copics handle like a dream. They blend almost like watercolors! And the brush tip on the Copic Sketch markers (which is what I got) is delightfully flexible and precise. I hate to admit it, but they're worth the money. Mostly. Almost. One amazing thing about them is that the nibs never get contaminated with other colors. You can blend a light color on top of a dark one (still wet!) without any damage. And the edges just vanish into soft nothingness, so you don't get that annoying striping where layers overlap. I had to use some old Prismacolors to fill in the fellow's red shirt, and the difference in smoothness was astounding. You can see the blotchiness even in the photo.

I'm still in the process of coloring these two characters digitally.

No comments:

Post a Comment