Monday, June 6, 2011

Works in Progress

Tomorrow (actually, today) is my first day On The Job-- I got a part-time job at the college bookstore, which is a small Barnes & Noble.

I'm working on a few art projects for fun-- Blackbird-themed, of course. I'm trying to learn (read: cannibalize and assimilate) a bunch of different painting and coloring styles, so my goal is to do something dramatically different with every piece.

Here's a portrait of Breckendy. I'm trying a technique where you paint the whole thing in grayscale first, and then drop color in on a separate layer. That way, you can jump right into the composition without worrying about your color palette at first. Eesh, painting is hard. I'm such a line person.

She's laughing at you.

Detail shot! She has white freckles.

And here's Ball hard at work collecting gossip. I spent a lot of time looking at Norman Rockwell's "The Gossips" for inspiration... not that it shows, really. What a phenomenal artist. I could happily look at his stuff for hours. My eventual plan with this is to do very precise, detailed lines and then color them. Haven't experimented much with coloring outlines.

A Talk-Betwixt at work.

"It was really quite large."
He betrays no judgement. Busy scribbling an indecipherable shorthand.

Finished pieces will go on my DA gallery if I deem them good enough. Otherwise, they'll go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment